In this week’s edition of Coffee with Comrades, we continue our exploration of the three prevailing leftist tendencies with a discussion of the big, scary c-word: communism.
I said this last week and, doubtless, I’ll say it again next Tuesday, but I wanna provide a quick caveat before we launch into today’s edition of the program. A lot of people have a lot of different feelings and perspectives on what “socialism,” “communism,” and “anarchism” mean. Plenty of folks simply regurgitate whatever they hear on social media—for good or ill. Others actually take the time to read the theory. Some of those folks form their own perspectives and insights, while a good chunk of others just follow a party-line. Don’t take my word for things here. This episode series is meant to serve as a very brief introduction to each of these rich, vast, and complex ideological positions. So, take everything I have to say here with a grain of salt, read and explore these theories for yourself, and—most importantly—use these ideas to improve the lives and material conditions of your friends, family, neighbors, and comrades.
That said, this discussion of communism did get the stamp-of-approval from one of my Marxist-Leninist comrades so, take that for whatever it’s worth.
Also, if you think it would be helpful, you can check out the PowerPoints for each of these introductory philosophical episodes.
- Support Coffee with Comrades on Patreon, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and visit our website.
- Coffee with Comrades is a proud affiliate of the Channel Zero Network.
- Coffee with Comrades is a proud part of the Rev Left Radio Federation.
- Our logo was designed by Sydney Landis. Support her work, buy some art.
- Intro: “I Ain’t Got No Home in this World” by Woody Guthrie
- Interlude: “The Red Flag” by Billy Bragg
- Outro: “Common People” by Street Dogs